J&R Contracting Co., Inc. is serious about keeping our dedicated employees safe as they respond to various disaster situations. Some of the many ways we are proactive in safety is to offer all J&R Contracting team members the opportunity to get the flu vaccination and Hepatitis A vaccination, as well as to be trained in CPR.
Spring is almost here – hallelujah! We are all looking forward to warmer weather, but with rising temperatures comes spring rain and water run-off. All the water from snow melt and ground thaw, coupled with rain, has to go somehow and unfortunately, it can back-up into your basement if you’re not prepared.
It is rapidly approaching one of the most dangerous times of the year for home related fires. Consider these statistics and safety recommendations:
1. Thanksgiving Cooking
- Nearly four times as many home cooking fires occurr on Thanksgiving Day as on a typical day
- In 2014, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 1,730 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving with ovens and cooking ranges as the leading type of equipment involved and unattended cooking as the leading contributing factor
a. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) discourages the use of outdoor gas-fueled turkey fryers
b. Never leave the kitchen when you have food on the stove and never leave home with food in the oven
2. Christmas trees
- US fire departments responded to an estimated 210 home structure fires per year between 2010—2014 that began with ignition of Christmas trees
- Some type of electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in 35% of home Christmas tree fires
- Christmas tree fires caused an annual average $16.2 million in direct property damage
a. Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source such as radiators, heat vents, fireplaces, and candles
b. Follow manufacturer instructions for the number of light strands to connect and always replace worn or broken cords
c. Never leave trees lit while unattended, including when you go to bed
- According to NFPA, candles were the heat source in 38% of the fires between 2009—2013
- Approximately 36% of candle fires began in bedrooms
- The top four days for home candle fires were New Year’s Day, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and Christmas Eve
- Candle fires resulted in $374 million of direct property damage
a. Trim wicks to 1/4 inch before burning
b. Discontinue burning a candle when 2 inches of wax remains or ½ inch, if in a container
c. Extinguish candles if they repeatedly flicker or smoke, or the flames goes to high
The outdoor kitchen has become one of the most popular home improvement projects. If you have an outdoor kitchen or are planning one for the future, make sure you have the following checked off your list.
Sump pumps are used to remove ground water away from your home. When your sump pump is working properly, it will keep your foundation and basement dry. However, a faulty sump pump can lead to water damage, mold, and mildew. In fact, sump pump failure is the most frequent cause of basement back-ups. With spring rains in the forecast, you need to take time to test your sump pump today.